Staffordshire University logo
STORE - Staffordshire Online Repository

Educating people with rare rheumatological conditions

MOONEY, Janice and WATTS, Richard (2017) Educating people with rare rheumatological conditions. Rheumatology, 56 (12). pp. 2042-2043. ISSN 1462-0324

[img]
Preview
Text
eprints5290.pdf - Publisher's typeset copy
Available under License All Rights Reserved.

Download (83kB) | Preview

Abstract or description

Patients deserve better

A disease is considered to be rare if it has a population prevalence of < 5 in 10 000 [1]. Approximately 80% of rare diseases are genetic and present in childhood. The remaining 20% are acquired and present in adulthood. There are a number of rheumatic conditions that fall into this category, including most of the vasculitides and many of the connective tissue disorders. Rare diseases pose numerous educational challenges to both health-care professionals and patients; these can include ignorance of the condition among health-care professionals and patients, or relatives and friends who may never have heard of the condition. This leads to social and informational isolation because the patient has no one to turn to for advice. Increasingly, patients are turning to internet websites and chat rooms for advice, and some of these may be of poor quality

Item Type: Article
Faculty: School of Health and Social Care > Nursing
Depositing User: Janice MOONEY
Date Deposited: 15 Feb 2019 15:26
Last Modified: 15 Feb 2019 15:26
URI: http://eprints.staffs.ac.uk/id/eprint/5290

Actions (login required)

View Item View Item

DisabledGo Staffordshire University is a recognised   Investor in People. Sustain Staffs
Legal | Freedom of Information | Site Map | Job Vacancies
Staffordshire University, College Road, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire ST4 2DE t: +44 (0)1782 294000